Les Mis or...




Taking a risk is scary. Trust me I know. I find, when it comes to making a decision, I'll most likely go with the safest option. That makes sense right? When planning a Theatre trip, I completely get the desire to spend savvy. After all, a family trip to the Theatre, a trip with friends, or even a solo trip, quite frankly costs a bomb. Not even counting the increasingly expensive theatre tickets, there's also the petrol, train, tube costs, along with food, drinks and overnight accommodation if you're travelling a long way. All things considered, going to see a show is going to cost a lot. So keeping this in mind, I see why, in general, people will flock to the long running, West End classics such as Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Mamma Mia or The Lion King. These shows have been around for years. They've well and truly withstood the test of time. And people love them. Myself included, Les Miserables is one of my all time favourite shows and I'm sure it will continue to attract people to London, for a long time to come.

However, right under your nose, in the heart of London, there are fantastic shows that just aren't attracting the crowds that they deserve, one of which being The Toxic Avenger, currently playing at The Arts Theatre, in the heart of London's West End.

This show has got it all. A brilliant storyline, and songbook written by Joe DiPietro and David Bryan, is complimented incredibly by the cast, who, were fantastic, and through their powerful vocals and hilarious acting, brought the show to life.


The Rock Musical, is based on the 1984 cult classic by the same name and follows the character of Melvin as he becomes Tromaville's first ever Toxic Waste Superhero. If you like The Book of Mormon, this is one for you. It is hilarious and heartwarming at the same time. It's only a cast of five, but you wouldn't notice, as they each expertly become so many different characters, it makes it feel like a cast of twenty.

It's not a show I'd heard much about. But I really enjoy going to see lots of Theatre, so was excited to experience something new. And it was worth it. I love a classic. But by trying something different I found myself a new favourite musical and had a brilliant night out in the process.

However, there weren't as many people there as there should have been. It was so frustrating, because this is a show that needs to be seen. It's very easy to be afraid of the unknown. But if you never try, you really will never know what you're missing out on. So, next time you're planning a Theatre trip; step outside of your comfort zone, give something different a try. It will open you up to some amazing Theatre, I promise.

Georgie x

Catch the Toxic Avenger at the Arts Theatre London, until the 3rd December 2017.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few of my favourite things.... October Favourites

Sisters By Blood, Friends by Choice

Guilt Free Chocolate Smoothie